Sunday 24 January 2010

Ozbus11, still in Thailand - Part 3

I never managed to get up for breakfast on day 57 on Ozbus11's 92 day trip to Sydney, the previous day had done me in. I wanted to catch up on sleep and prepare myself for the fact that I'd be gettting little of it in the coming days. The youngens on the bus were excited as we were going to a Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan Island the first evening after leaving Bangkok. It was going to be an all night affair with a boat taking us there in the eve from Koh Samui and not taking us back til morning the next day. I can do all nighters if there is the following available: GOOD music to dance to (I don't count traditional Dance music as good, it's usually the fastest way to send me to sleep), a decent crowd (not shitheads, timewasters or people off their heads on whatever, just intersting perhaps slightly crazy peeps you can have a chat with) and finally good weather. So I was a bit aprehensive about the party.

Unfortunately I sort of pre-empted the whole all nighter thing by one night, our last night in Bangkok. After missing breakfast and being annoyed because it was amazing, a few of us found a great little cafe just around the corner from hotel. It was a Sunday and surprisingly, nothing much was open. Ozbus had been living out of the working week system for sometime now and we had not a clue how the real world worked around us. But here we found continental breakfasts on offer, milkshakes, croissants which I jumped on and of course that quintessential coffee.

After breakfast I'm not sure what I did as this is the part in my diary marked 'faffed'. So I guess I faffed before Dee, I and Rob the photogrpaher and computer genius decided to visit the Royal Palace. This was a good cultural visit with LOTS of gold and sparkly things to bowl you over. A good attraction just cover up and don't let the taxi men rip you off when you come out. Then I suppose we came back and had dinner and then we went out and did a bit of shopping on the main strip.

I was having drinks with Dee and Elli, our proper Yorskshire lass, desperately trying to order a Martini and not getting anywhere with the waiter when suddenly I stopped. I made a grab for my waist where I wear my money belt and to my horrow - AHHHH, it wasn't there! Panic set in as I was horofied at losing not only money but Passport aswell. Luckily Dee and Sam were amazing. They got a plan of action going, Dee re-traced my steps with me, checking the market we had just been to and Sam went back to our hotel room to see if I had left it there.

I was adement I hadn't as I only ever took the money belt off to shower or swim and then would put it back on when dressing. I was in a right state. What if I had to miss the Full Moon Party by staying in Bangkok at the Embassy? We all really needed this party. What if I couldn't leave Thailand with Ozbus at all and my trip would be ruined? If only I had listened to Phil the bus god when he said this is the time in the trip when everyone starts to become more lax and lose things? I was thinking now - it had to be at the hotel - it just had to, I just didn't remember putting it down anywhere. I never left my passport in hotel rooms as per advice from Phil.

Dee and I were walking back when Elli phoned. She said she had found it on my bedside table. I thanked Elli and turned to Dee and we both breathed a sigh of relief then giggled a bit. What a scare? What an adrenaline rush? Back at the hotel Dee suddenly realised she had not seen her Passport for a while also. Consequently, she, Sam and I started to turn our hotel room inside out looking for it. Our room had allready been a state for sometime now - you remember, Dee and I had officially moved in and decorated.

A few of us had been in Phil's room earlier that evening and Dee thought it must be in there. So with Sam, a forever cheeri Surrey girl now hailing as a Northerner, and a few others joining in, broke into Phil's room and started searching it. Phil doesn't trust hotel staff so rarely gives in his room key when he goes out so we wondering just how we were going to get in but we did manage it. It wasn't there unfortunately so Dee texted one of the boys who were all on an official 'boys night out' in Bangkok (that only means going to see one thing *shiver shiver*) to see if they recall Dee having it somewhere. But we had no answer so we broke into Charlie and Rob's room instead to search there. Remember this was a leave or no leave Bangkok situation. As soon as we busted their door, Sam and I spied it, obviously "hidden" underneath Charlie's pillow.

I think Dee's exact words were "Charlie! You k**b-jockey!" As she was relieved at finally finding it. After that we waited for the boys to come back. Charlie was first coming to Dee's and my balcony where we were all hanging out. He said he was quite adement that the ping pong ladies had put him off sex for life. But what really put things into context for us girls was when Rob our Geography boy came back. He rushed onto the balcony all out of breath from running, clearly drunk and with the rememnents of sick down his front. What a night he had had as he went on to tell us. The show shocked him as much as it did Charlie but he had stayed out with Phil to go to a fish foot eating place with Tamara our amazingly intelligent Canadian.

Unfortunately this probably wasn't one of the best ideas as Rob has a thing about anything touching his feet. Phil cohearsed him into trying it when Rob I think threw up a little from the shock. Then he leapt up and ran all the way back to the hotel, throwing up again on the way. As Rob was relaying the events to us we all couldn't help but feel sorry for the guy but also, it was late, we did find it hilarious at the same time. What really made the story a treat was this quote from Rob: "Women - pulling razors out of their f****s now that's rude. But FISH!"

The night wore on and Phil came back and the party moved into his room. Their must have been about 10 of us in there or something. We were having the time of our life for some strange reason, dancing and acting like prats in a Bangkok hotel room - that's where the scene is obviously. Before I knew it, it was 2am and we had to leave that day to get down to Koh Samui. I said to myself I really must go to bed at some point and I still havent packed. I set my alarm for 5am to make me get up and be packed in time.

Then later on, all of a sudden, my alarm went off - and we were all still in Phil's room! How did this happen?! The all nighter was meant to be happening the next night. Oh well. Off I went to pack. Made it downstairs after boobie trapping Jim and Julie from Essex's room door with empty cans and bottles. Jim and Julie were the top couple on board and were the type of people who could appreciate a prank or two. Breakfast was nice and then I blanked out on the bus during the day. I only really woke up for half hour of lunch and then at 6pm for the ferry.

At 8.30pm we arrived at our hotel and what a paradise it seemed. But before we could enjoy it, we rushed some food down to be picked up for the party at 9.20pm. We had all been told that there were boats coming back every hour through the night which set my mind at rest at not being able to cope with another all nighter.

The Full Moon Party was......

No comments: