Thursday 4 June 2009

Barcelona - Part 1


Let's start at Avenida America Bus Station in Madrid. I arrived at 10am on a Monday and the place was practically a ghost station. First of all, amazingly tiny screens making finding right platform number where the bus is extremely difficult. Secondly, venturing out to platform – not a soul to be found anywhere. Hanging around, 5 mins before departure, found someone who resembled a driver who told me to go to a couple of platforms down, different to one on screen that hadn't changed. There, a small group of travelers waited in mild confusion only to be collected by another driver person who took us to a completely different platform at the other end of the station. Result – not impressed, Estacion del Sur at Mendez Alvaro still the best bus station in Madrid for ease and facilities.

7 hours and two motorway stops later, I had arrived in Barcelona's Estacion Nord. First task – find hostel. I had booked into Sant Jordi Hostel off Paseo de Gracia via hostelworld.com. Very good website, trusting traveler reviews who have actually stayed there so no nasty surprises. Instructions from hostel were detailed about which metro to catch and what exit to take and other than a short debate with a metro employee who didn't agree with the instructions, I found the hostel relatively quickly. I was tired from the journey and wanted to settle in as soon as possible and find something to eat.

Sant Jordi hostel is small and friendly. It is freshly decorated with a well kitted out kitchen and common room. They are so accommodating here that they organize socials each night. That evening was named 'Nasty Mondays' on the walls of the common spaces. The international set of Australians, Canadians and Americans gathered in the kitchen for drinks before heading out to a club one of the hostel workers knew which did great Mojitos. Once back at the hostel at something O'Clock in the morning I was ready to crash out. Unfortunately the room I was put in was a) at the front overlooking a busy main street, b) right next to the kitchen and topping it off c) my bed was pushed up to a set of connecting doors into the kitchen where at 5am I was awoken by a couple of Germans. It all amounted to a very bad night's sleep.

In the morning I was delighted to find at only 2€, an amazing spread for Breakfast. Just what I needed to start my day's exploring. I decided to do the traditionally touristic thing of taking an official Bus Tour round the city. Bus Tour views vary from a waste of time and money to an informative way to orientate yourself. I took the later view and spent nearly the whole day on three different tours. Of course it was hop on, hop off type but at 21€ day ticket (27€ for 2 days) I was going to make the most of it. I had a fantastic lunch by the harbor and gained some great ideas of what to see in Barca. However because there really is no point sitting on the bottom deck due to the amount of wonderful buildings the city has to offer and constantly looking up, I was on the top, in the sun for near on a day. This amounts to one thing as a girl of Celtic roots – amazing sunburn even in May when it wasn't especially hot there.

With a little time in evening before I ate, I visited the Casa Batlló which was just on the corner of the street from the hostel. This house was designed by Gaudi for a Textile Factory owner and oh my god – completely in love with Gaudi architecture now. You either love him or hate him but you can't visit Barcelona without exposing yourself to at least one of his works. One comment was that the house is a bit expensive to visit but with the bus tour, I got discount slips on nearly all the places of interest. Also if you have the ISIC card, which I really recommend, discounts are abound on all these types of places. At the sites I visited, I asked which discount would be best as the amount discounted varied.

That evening I asked to change rooms as I was not up for another night of light dozing. The lady behind the hostel desk was very nice and jiggled a few things so I could spend my last two nights in a quiet room at the back. That evening's activities were Sangria drinking with the guests at the other Sant Jordi Hostels. Or 'Crazy Tuesdays' as it was labeled. After crammed socializing in the kitchen everyone was invited to a club with free entry and a free drink. I wasn't up for it as I wanted an early start the next day and also the club played House and Hip Hop music and that's not my thing.

No comments: