Tuesday 19 February 2008

So here goes...


First time blogger, hmmmmmmm what to write. Well I'm never short of words so I guess I should start by introducing myself.

I graduated from Uni last summer and have absolutely no idea what I should do with myself. So I'm like every other twenty something in Britain; a huge debt and a misplaced career choice ahead. So I thought I would skip the whole career thing for a while and go on a bit of a mission. What I said to my family and friends was this, "I'm going travelling." Immidiately they thought I should be purchasing an around-the-world plane ticket and alot of phrase books. However I didn't explain myself properly.

What I had in my head was this: visit amazing new places around the globe, get to know the people who live there, survive and do this with as little aeroplane travel as possible. Great - yeah an eco-trip. (Except I hate that prefix, it is used too often and all meaning has been lost) All I want is to experience what differences life has to offer. What different views and opinions different people have in different cultures. And then hopefully I can come back and make money out of writing about it - yey.

Initial problems I have encountered- travelling without being on board Ryanair takes at least three times as long. This effects planning im terms of what days I'm going to be where. Also effects accomodation - care needed to book a warm bed where necarsary. There's the added problem of the whole world only being geared up for air-travel. Watch a travel show - they'll give you all the flight information, even if its only to Barcelona. Watch my show - I'll tell you which train to get (which I'm currently working on).

I'm in Guernsey at the moment, staying with a friend, organising a stay on a Spanish organic farm at the end of march. I started out in Plymouth where I was at Uni and left my house there in a taxi. I was taken to the bus station with a massive backpack full of stuff I didn't really know if I needed and the horrendous thought that I'd probably left most of what I needed in my room. I had a Modbury (first plastic carrier bag free town in Britain) shoulder bag practically collapsing with its contents and a stupid laptop that I just needed to see me through the time at my next stopping point.

After a short wait with my load I got on a National Express bound for Victoria Station, London. It was specifically central London as freqeunt bus users will know to take advantage of the cheap ticket called funfare. It can be as low as £1 each way but I've never got that. Even with well in advance booking the lowest I've had each way is £9. It was evening (5hr from Plym to London) by the time I got in to the Coach station. Waited an hour for my Bus to Stasted Airport. Here my parents picked my up and stayed for about a week at my house which on a clear day you can see is only a few fields away from the airport itself.

Yes - there had to be a more personal reason for this whole no flying thing didnt there. This glass beacon, sitting pretty on the flat essex landscape is my local landmark. It used to be just a little air strip with a shed next to it - now its BAA Stasted with a mini-spaghetti junction off the M11 to get there and an appetite for knocking down 500 year old houses for an apparent well needed extra runway. How about no.

I'm bored now and hungry. I'm gonna have a cup of tea and biscuits. I'll tell you more when I feel like it.

No comments: